- Phone: (512)345-3771
- Email: http://www.hillcrest.church
- Mailing Address: 3838 Steck Ave Austin, TX 78759
In March of 1927, a small group of Baptists met to organize a church in Austin. There were only five Baptist churches in Austin at that time. Emmanuel Baptist (later to become Hillcrest) organized with 30 charter members, and Rev. C. L. Sansing was called as pastor. The first official act of the church was to take an offering for missions.
A building that belonged to the Swedish Baptists located at 18th and San Jacinto streets was purchased. This building was used until 1933, at which time the property was rezoned and sold to an oil company. Hillcrest relocated to 19½ St. and East Avenue and began a building program. The first strong tithing program was begun during this time – truly an act of faith during the difficult Depression Era.
The church would again relocate in
Hillcrest made much progress in the 1970’s, including another relocation. Once again God provided in a most remarkable way – He gave us a mountain in a strategic location in northwest Austin. In April of 1973, Hillcrest relocated to its present 3838 Steck Avenue address.